Partners for Healthy Schools
Education and wellness go hand in hand. In order for children to understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle, it is essential to bring wellness into schools.
Partners for Healthy Schools (PHS) is working with schools to gather their pledges to implement at least one policy change related to creating opportunities for physical activity and/or making healthy food and beverage choices available in their environments.
Partners for Healthy Schools initiatives include:
- Before-school walking clubs, which encourage physical activity for students, staff and parents;
- Active transportation routes, which help children walk and bicycle safely to school as well as community centers and libraries;
- Water-friendly options for students and staff;
- School gardens, which help kids understand where healthy foods come from and giving them a chance to participate in its growth; and
- Support for existing healthy “Grab & Go” breakfasts, which makes breakfast available for all students on their way to their classroom.
In partnership with Live Well Omaha Kids, PHS created a workshop model bringing Omaha-area school leadership teams together to support them in discussions and activities to identify, plan and implement wellness policies in their school environments.
School leadership teams complete a series of four workshops that provide professional development, network/sharing opportunities, and work time. All schools identify one nutrition and one physical activity goal and write related action plans. Goal areas include: ensuring healthy food is provided for birthdays and celebrations; removing the loss of recess as a punishment; and increasing physical activity opportunities during the school day.